Funding Supports Financial Literacy and Career Readiness Programs for At-Risk Youth
For Immediate Release
City of Coconut Creek, Florida (June 23, 2022) – The Junior Achievement Florida Foundation has announced today that it has received a $70,000 grant from State Farm. The state-wide initiative will support Junior Achievement learning experiences in eight localities throughout Florida, enabling thousands of young people to participate in the organization’s nationally recognized financial literacy and career readiness learning experiences.
“State Farm believes that financial literacy education is critical to building stronger and more resilient communities” said Jose Soto, State Farm Corporate Responsibility Analyst. “Part of our education funding is directed toward initiatives and programs that support K-12 financial literacy and pathways for college and career success. We are proud to support Junior Achievement financial literacy and career readiness programs across Florida.”
Each of the eight Florida-based Junior Achievement areas will use the support to advance learning experiences most needed in their region.
Junior Achievement of South Florida (JA), along with JA Space Coast and JA North Florida will use the support to:
- Provide JA Personal Finance introducing high school students to the interrelationship between today’s financial decisions and future financial freedom.
“Thanks to partners like State Farm, JA can provide students with opportunities to grow their confidence and resiliency, explore career possibilities, learn and practice financial literacy and entrepreneurship skills they will need to succeed in the workplace and life,” said Laurie Sallarulo, Junior Achievement of South Florida President & CEO.
JA Tampa Bay, which includes Hillsborough, Polk, Highlands and Sarasota Counties will use the support for:
- JA BizTown, a capstone learning experience that introduces 5th graders to economic concepts, workplace skills, and personal and business finances. They act as employees and consumers, from paying bills to handling customer service, they experience what it is like to earn and work in a community.
- JA Finance Park, another capstone learning experience that is a real-life simulation, where students enter the game of life and apply financial concepts to balance their personal budget and learn to make choices that support their future goals.
- 3DE schools by Junior Achievement, the newest JA learning experience, teaches students in high school relevant business skills and core competencies through business case methodology.
JA Miami will use the support to:
- Provide local elementary students with an interactive JA Day where they will explore the concepts of financial literacy and workforce readiness.
JA Palm Beaches will use the support to:
- Provide JA Personal Finance at area high schools where students are introduced to the interrelationship between today’s financial decisions and future financial freedom and JA Inspire Career Expo where students explore their skills and interests.
JA Central Florida will use the support to provide:
- JA Finance Park Virtual Advanced to 12th graders in Orange and Osceola districts where students will build a foundation for making intelligent and informed lifelong personal finance decisions.
JA Southwest Florida will use the support to:
- Provide JA Personal Finance, JA Economics for Success and JA Career Success
The JA Florida Foundation areas have worked with local State Farm representatives to build out an interactive Career Exploration booth for the JA Inspire Career Expo. This virtual platform provides students with the opportunity to explore over 100 business and education booths and listen to dynamic speakers. Live virtual interaction days are scheduled where students can ask volunteers industry related questions. Across the state over 25,000 students will participate.
All areas will offer volunteer opportunities for State Farm associates to participate either in person or virtually, the length and scope varies for each experience.
About Junior Achievement of South Florida
Junior Achievement of South Florida empowers our youth with the knowledge, ability and confidence to navigate their futures, drive our economy, and lead our community. JA provides real-world training in financial literacy including budgeting, spending, investing and the use of credit; offers cutting-edge skill-building opportunities that enable young people to explore meaningful, productive careers; teaches students how to start businesses; and introduces entrepreneurial values that strengthen workplaces. Last year, with the help of over 5,000 trained corporate and community volunteers, JA delivered 20+ programs to over 73,000 students in classrooms throughout Broward and south Palm Beach counties and at JA World Huizenga Center at the Lillian S. Wells Pavilion, a first-class facility housing JA BizTown and JA Finance Park. For more information about Junior Achievement of South Florida, visit JASouthFlorida.org. Follow JA on social media @jasouthflorida.
About Junior Achievement Florida Foundation
Chartered in 2010, the JA Florida Foundation represents the nine Florida JA chapters joining forces to link to schools across the state of Florida. This collaboration has allowed us each to grow our impact on our area’s marginalized youth through statewide funding and support. Junior Achievement delivers K-12 programming for entrepreneurship, financial literacy and career readiness. For more information on the organization, visit www.juniorachievement.org/web/ja-floridafoundation.
About State Farm®
For 100 years, the mission of State Farm has been and continues to be to help people manage the risks of everyday life, recover from the unexpected, and realize their dreams. State Farm and its affiliates are the largest providers of auto and home insurance in the United States. Its more than 19,400 agents and approximately 61,764 employees serve over 91 million policies and accounts – which includes auto, fire, life, health, commercial policies and financial services accounts. Commercial auto insurance, along with coverage for renters, business owners, boats and motorcycles, is available. State Farm Mutual Automobile Insurance Company is the parent of the State Farm family of companies. State Farm is ranked No. 42 on the 2022 Fortune 500 list of largest companies. For more information, please visit http://www.statefarm.com.
For More Information, Contact:
Christopher Miller, Senior Marketing and Media Production Manager
Junior Achievement of South Florida